Marley’s Mutts does so much more than “just” rescue dogs.
Miracle Mutts is Marley’s Mutts’ community outreach and education endeavor, through which volunteers utilize therapy dogs for comforting interactivity, emotional and social enrichment, addiction recovery programs, and job-skills training for a wide range of youth and adult populations across Kern County.
The Healing Power of Dogs
Studies prove what we’ve known in our hearts all along, which is that interacting with dogs is beneficial for our physical, emotional, and social health. Among the many benefits of human-canine interaction are:
- Lowered blood pressure and heart rate
- Increased production of serotonin, dopamine and oxytocin in the brain - chemicals responsible for feelings of happiness, calmness and connectivity
- Decreased production of cortisol and norepinephrine - chemicals that produce feelings of stress, anxiety and fear
- Reduced depression, loneliness, and anxiety
- Boosted motivation for physical activity and social interaction
The dogs we bring to engage with people in the community have been hand-selected for their gentle temperament and friendly personalities, and have been trained to be calm, courteous, working therapy dogs. Interacting with them offers people direct access to the healing potential in the human-canine bond. The work is fulfilling for the dogs as well, which makes our outreach program a win-win situation for all involved!
Whether it’s on the lap of an elderly resident in assisted living, snuggled up in a group of college students helping them to de-stress during finals week, comforting the family of a cancer patient, or delighting a classroom full of children with special needs, wherever our therapy dogs are at any given time, they are inevitably making people happy, helping people heal, and changing people’s lives by sweetly touching their hearts.
How to Set Up a Visit
If you are interested in having the Miracle Mutts boost morale at your organization or place of business, be greeters at your community or private event, surprise a friend or child at a birthday party, or bring some much-needed love and comfort to your clients, staff or students, please fill out the INTEREST FORM here, and we will get back with you shortly to discuss details:
Our Therapy Dogs Are Available For:
- De-stressing events on school campuses and work places
- Visiting residents in retirement communities, assisted-living and skilled nursing facilities, and hospice centers
- Interacting with children and adults with physical, cognitive, sensory, social-emotional, and/or developmental disabilities
- Spending time with children and families staying in homeless shelters, and/or sober living residences
- Comforting cancer patients and their families
- Snuggling with veterans
- Lending support to those who’ve experienced a tragic event, and/or individuals participating in grief support activities; we will even attend funeral services upon request
- Individuals struggling to lose weight, and who might benefit from extra motivation from special exercise partners
We are always open to new experiences!
- While we provide our OUTREACH services to the community at no cost, donations to Marley’s Mutts (specifically to the “Miracle Mutts” program) in any amount are tax-deductible, and always greatly appreciated!
- Contact us with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org